Sasha followed his dad onto two wheels. "I was always present on the racetrack with my dad, also a fervent motorcycle rider."
"He road several trackdays with his friends & participated in endurances races in Belgium so it was a normal choice for me to do the same."
"My parents have always been involved in my racing and they still are.
"My dad is:
1. My mechanic: he maintains the bikes.
2. My coach in several domains: he teaches me the mechanical stuff of the bikes and he teaches me about the importance of the suspension and other things. Plus after a ride on the track we discuss about various things like breakpoints, accelaration, riding lines, etc."
3. Helps me with my schoolwork.
4. Helps me with the public relations: my Facebook account, Instagram, twitter,... she gives me tips & tricks.
5. Organises everything for my condition and physical training.
6. Takes care of my health by preparing good and healthy meals.
7. Is always there when I need her."
"My little brother is my playmate when we race together on the playstation :-)", says Sasha who admits that playing with his brother is is favourite thing to do when not riding. He also like the sciences at school and his heroes are Valentino Rossi and Marco Simoncelli.
With the kind of family support he has it is not surprising Sasha is learning fast and he picks out some lessons learnt in 2016. "That racing is a whole lot more then just riding a bike. I learnt that I need a good physical condition, that enough sleep is important, that what I eat is also important, that you really have to work on many things to get results."
And his greatest race of 2016? "Winning with the Honda Moto3 in the rain at Assen during the British Superbikes. This win was very important to me after a long year of hard work on this machine."
He also findly rememebers other races. "Winning at the circuit of Zandvoort with the KTM RC 390 during the Superbikes at Sea. Not just the winning was great but that weekend was my family, friends & sponsor-weekend, so lots of people were there and saw me winning this race. It was awesome!"
"My goal for this year is ending in the top 10. Of course winning is very important, more then participating. But I cannot do it alone. My hard work and the hard work of my team what ends in good results gives me the most satisfaction."
"I don't only love the racing, the speed, especially on fast and fluent tracks, the different circuits etc. but also all the friends that I gathered during the last years. Friends I can talk to, I can play with, I can have fun with when I don't need to race. I've made some really good friends the last years and I hope to make some new ones again this year!"